November 2018 - January 2019
Student trainee project
Emotiv Epoc+, C#,
UX Ideation, Unity Development
Unity prototype for the Emotiv Epoc+ brain-computer interface
Back then icon incar bought the Emotive Epoc+ headset and never really used it. The software for it was a beta version and to be honest very clunky and didn't work well. Yet I was curious about the technology and gave it a shot as a side project. Handling the daily work business and besides working on this technology exploration was quite time-demanding.
Investigating on the different possibilities, I found out that the headset can deliver various datastream (EEG data, performance metrics, facial expressions, motion data) and can also be trained to understand mental commands by the user. I decided to use the performance metrics which seemed to be the most stable function. The metrics are EEG data values that are precalculated and synthesized by the Emotiv Cortex API to explain current brain states like the level of stress, engagement, interest, excitement, focus, and relaxation.
After getting some inspiration, I found a video of the Acura Mood Roads case study. I decided to do something similar and wanted to develop a mood-based car interior ambient light. To do that I first needed to figure out a way how to integrate the performance metrics data into Unity and then hook it up to an Arduino controlling some LEDs.
Luckily Emotiv provided their Cortex API also in C#, which I could use as a plugin to access all the functionalities inside of Unity. Additionally, they had a project example in which they imported the performance metrics data into an Excel sheet. I rewrote the project to import the data into an XML-file which I could then easily extract. I built a simple interface in Unity showing the current mood of the user and the prototype was ready to go. After that, I tried to link everything to the Arduino and LED Stripe, but couldn't finish the project because I had to focus on my studies again.
Even though this was only a small technology exploration side project, I had a lot of fun with it. I learned new tricks and skills and had the opportunity to work with a very interesting and promising new technology. Shoutout to icon incar and the whole creative technology team for lending me their headset and giving me the freedom to be curious during worktime. I’m really grateful for that.
Walk of change
As a group study project, we developed an interactive floor that changes as soon as people walk over it. I was the programming and development lead in this project.
STUDY PROJECT • 12 WEEKS • MARCH 2018 • READING TIME 4 MIN
Gishfang - case study
Gishfang is a music production team that needed an online presence and visual identity. This project includes UX design, prototyping, visual design, and some art direction.
CLIENT PROJECT • 6 WEEKS • JAN 2019 • READING TIME 6 MIN